Rebel Droids.net

Full Version: 3D Printers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since I was asked about my 3D printer, here goes:

I have a Replicator I Clone, more specifically a whitebox flashforge creator. FF seems to have stopped making them, however you can still find Replicator clones on ebay.  I'm running the Makerbot firmware on it and use MakerWare, where it thinks it's a Replicator Dual.

The bed wasn't flat so I put a sheet of glass on it, printing some clips to hold it in place, then using spring clips after realizing/discovering that printed clips are going to loosen when they get warm Smile  I also laser cut walls for the 3 open sides to keep heat in better for ABS printing.  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:617513 has the files for the sides, but I don't know for sure if all clones are the same shape.  That helped a ton to prevent warping.  I thought about adding a top cover, or corner plugs, but haven't really felt the need to go ahead and do that.

I use hairspray on the glass to help get the parts to stick.  Other people have success w/o hairspray, but it seems to work for me.  Cooling helps the parts pop off.  Hairspray builds up, so don't respray every print. 

One bit I really like about the FlashForge (at least my model) is that the extruders have PTFE tubes in them to guide the 1.75mm filament.  I think what that really means is that they were 3mm extruders that someone stuck a PTFE adapter in to reduce the diameter.  But I like them because I bought a little strip of tube off ebay.  If they get clogged, I "just" swap out the little tube (and check the nozzle).  It seems to be a lot more serviceable than some of the newer machines I've seen, where sometimes the printer's down for some time trying to figure out how to clean the extruder.  The tube I bought is like 1', so I just cut the length I need.

Different filaments, even the same vendor, seem to need different temps.  I have several spools of different colors, so I've taken to writing the good temps on the spool when storing so I have better luck next job.
Excellent write up.  Thanks Kresty!  I'm looking into 3d printers, so I appreciate the input.  
There's also a thread or 12 on astromech.net
12 threads about your printer?? What, one for every spool you use up? C3P0
Well, hopefully about other people's printers mostly ;-)

(08-20-2015, 05:47 PM)schubertrr Wrote: [ -> ]12 threads about your printer??  What, one for every spool you use up?  C3P0
I have two printers an Ultimaker 2+ which is sadly down at the moment awaiting new parts for the extruder.

It has an 8" cubed print area and prints cleanly when it's working.

The other printer I have is a Raise 3D N2 dual. This has a 12" cubed print area and has been printing almost continuously since I got it two weeks before Celebration last year. It has allowed me to print parts for BB-8 as one piece and has also been used to create masters for another prop builder including the Death Star plans Data cartridge, helmet stands and plaque holders.

Edit: due to autocorrect getting things wrong lol
I almost feel like I should start a new thread for my printers . . . . . but I won't. Smile

I have a bunch. I'll start posting about them one at a time so I don't get overwhelmed by the process. I'll have some time tomorrow, I think, to do the first post.
I like the old replicator clone style printers, pretty DIY for fixing and pretty cheap. I have a FlashForge Creator (2 extruder, older model).

Work has several Replicators in the Garage, and a print farm of Ultimaker's. The Ultimakers did well on Lara's Rey staff parts and the lone BB-8 part I send there, but smaller and more detailed things looked like crap. Stringy and stuff. Not sure what's wrong, I think they might keep their temps too high. I have difficulty with the idea of Boyden's for the springy potential of their feed, that may be part of what I was seeing (great on big smoothish things).
I just have a lowly Monoprice Maker Select v2 (rebranded Wanhao Duplicator i3 v2).  But I like it pretty well, esp for only $300ish.  It's modded fairly heavily.

[Image: xmZxOMEl.jpg]

Anything Orange, Green, or Blue (except the LCD screen) was added by me, along with the webcam and the pi zero and hub sitting on top of the control box.

I'm about to build the traditional IKEA Lack enclosure for the thing.  As in, a friend of mine has gone to the nearest IKEA (which is an hour and a half away) today and the tables should be on their way back soon.
Printer number first:

Makerbot Replicator 5th Gen

[Image: normal_rep5thGen.jpg]

This is my least favorite. 
this was Makerbots attempt to make a consumer friendly 3D printer, but I don't think they were very successful. The print head is held together by magnets, which seems like a good idea because it makes it much easier to take apart, but if your feed rate is too high the backlash on the print head when it changes direction can actually cause it to spontaneously disassemble.  Not awesome.
It has auto bed leveling, which should be cool but it does it automatically before each print and just slows things down.  It does not have a heated print bed and will only accept PLA, which limits its versatility.  It does get used, but mostly for printing less critical things like stand-offs, spacers, that sort of thing.

Pages: 1 2