Rebel Droids.net

Full Version: Markus' H015 from cardboard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
It's time to start my H015 build!
Based on my measurements posted in the other thread, I created some plans for building a H015 droid from cardboard. I am using thick corrugated cardboard which one can get for free in large sheets e.g. at Sam's Club. The original size (with a baseplate of 70cm x 70cm) is too large for my purposes, so I decided on a size of 70% of the original. This works well together with my mouse droid MSE-6c which was built at 90% of the size of the original, and my astromech droid R3-B9 which is approx. 50% of R2-D2's size.
With this in mind, I have created the following plans. These plans are not exactly up to scale. So, one can not simply enlarge these, but has to redraw everything on the cardboard. The head and the rest of the body are each made out of two pieces. These two pieces are both glued to a connecting ring which is made out of one layer of cardboard for the headpieces, and two layers of cardboard for the body pieces.

Here are the plans for the two head pieces,
[attachment=17]
for the upper part of the body,
[attachment=19],
for the lower part of the body,
[attachment=20],
 and for the connecting rings.
[attachment=18]
Cool! can't wait to see more.
If this comes out well, would you try it again using styrene?
Hmm, I guess Lara's isn't going to be the first H15!
(06-10-2016, 04:52 PM)deathproof Wrote: [ -> ]If this comes out well, would you try it again using styrene?

I don't think so. I built my other robots from cardboard, and I like that. But my main arguments are that I am not sure if I have the tools at hand for working with styrene (I never tried it), and that the cardboard solution is much cheaper. The latter is also the reason why I'm not aiming for a true 1:1 copy of the original. For example, I will probably use a cheap two wheel drive system (like this one[url= https://amzn.com/B00UN7M16G][/url]) instead of a better solution with four omni wheels. On the other hand, not aiming for a true replica also enables me to add a few details, like LEDs, which make it more fun to watch.

[url= https://amzn.com/B00UN7M16G][/url]
(06-10-2016, 02:08 PM)savagecreature Wrote: [ -> ]Cool! can't wait to see more.

Thanks! I really love the 3D models on your build log. Compared to that, you will find my approach very amateurish. I think I will have some first steps very soon.
I am starting the built from the top. H015’s head is made of two pieces which will both be glued to a ring. First, the upper head piece is glued to the ring, and temporarily fixed by some metal clips. We cut a hole in the bottom piece and glue it in the same way onto the ring.
[attachment=21][attachment=22][attachment=23][attachment=24]
This is the head.
The body is made of an upper and a bottom piece which are connected by two rings (to get a little larger distance). First, the rings are glued to each other,
[attachment=27][attachment=28]
and then the upper piece is glued to these rings.
[attachment=26][attachment=29]
Now I cut the bottom piece (but not yet the legs) and connect the sides by adding some cardboard pieces which also add support for the legs.
[attachment=30][attachment=31] [attachment=34]
The bottom piece is then glued to the connecting rings
[attachment=32]
and now we cut out the legs in the bottom piece.
[attachment=33]
Wow, now the shape of the droid becomes visible.
I love that – that’s why I wanted to build it in the first place!
Really cool! It's always fun when you get from the "hey I have a pile of parts" to "wow it looks like something" stage!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5