Rebel Droids.net

Full Version: My daughter (finally) wants a droid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
She came up and said she finally wants a droid - BD-1.
Michael Baddeley has been working on BD-1 on his patreon

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
(11-18-2019, 06:40 PM)Dyne Wrote: [ -> ]Michael Baddeley has been working on BD-1 on his patreon

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I have the files... Smile
I just stumbled upon this little critter (i'm no gamer).

He's so adorable, i'm thinking about getting a filament printer to make one.(already approved by the best wife ever, cause he's cute Smile )

But i have no experience with that stuff, what kind of filament is prefered for such tasks? Small details i plan to make with my Elegoo Saturn, but the bigger and more sturdy parts are probably better from a different material, at least i assume.
(01-18-2023, 11:59 AM)Lichtbringer Wrote: [ -> ]I just stumbled upon this little critter (i'm no gamer).

He's so adorable, i'm thinking about getting a filament printer to make one.(already approved by the best wife ever, cause he's cute  Smile )

But i have no experience with that stuff, what kind of filament is prefered for such tasks? Small details i plan to make with my Elegoo Saturn,  but the bigger and more sturdy parts are probably better from a different material, at least i assume.

Hmm, I thought I wrote a reply to this awhile back, but it might've been eaten by a reboot or browser flake out or something.

Any filament will probably work if they don't recommend something specific with the files, but what you'll prefer depends on your needs. Is it to be taken to cons in a hot car? Kept on display in an office? With or without direct sunlight? What are the temperatures like in that location?

I generally look at it like this:

PLA: Easy to print, but it has low glass transition temperature (read: softens and deforms pretty easily, such as while transporting in a car, or potentially over time when left in direct sunlight though I haven't personally had issues)

ABS: Hard to print (requires an enclosed bed, a bed and extruder capable of relatively high and stable temps, and fume extraction), but easy to sand, glue, smooth, and won't soften easily

PETG: Somewhere between PLA and ABS in most respects.

As a result, I typically print everything structural in PETG. I'll prototype or print cosmetic pieces in PETG or PLA depending on my mood, what's currently loaded, and how much the part will take vs. how much I have left on hand of each. Or I'll print them in resin if they are detailed. I've found ABS to be a lot more trouble than it's worth, for my purposes, and no longer use it.
(02-20-2023, 05:23 AM)Dyne Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2023, 11:59 AM)Lichtbringer Wrote: [ -> ]I just stumbled upon this little critter (i'm no gamer).

He's so adorable, i'm thinking about getting a filament printer to make one.(already approved by the best wife ever, cause he's cute  Smile )

But i have no experience with that stuff, what kind of filament is prefered for such tasks? Small details i plan to make with my Elegoo Saturn,  but the bigger and more sturdy parts are probably better from a different material, at least i assume.

Hmm, I thought I wrote a reply to this awhile back, but it might've been eaten by a reboot or browser flake out or something.

Any filament will probably work if they don't recommend something specific with the files, but what you'll prefer depends on your needs.  Is it to be taken to cons in a hot car?  Kept on display in an office?  With or without direct sunlight?  What are the temperatures like in that location?

PLA: Easy to print, but it has low glass transition temperature (read: softens and deforms pretty easily, such as while transporting in a car, or potentially over time when left in direct sunlight though I haven't personally had issues)

ABS: Hard to print (requires an enclosed bed, a bed and extruder capable of relatively high and stable temps, and fume extraction), but easy to sand, glue, smooth, and won't soften easily

As a result, I typically print everything structural in PETG.  I'll prototype or print cosmetic pieces in PETG or PLA depending on my mood, what's currently loaded, and how much the part will take vs. how much I have left on hand of each.  Or I'll print them in resin if they are detailed.  I've found ABS to be a lot more trouble than it's worth, for my purposes, and no longer use it.

We use ABS primarily because we build in Lego and Lego is ABS (so that makes gluing easier).  Without that constraint, I'd likely use something else.

I avoid PLA for most things, especially things I take to a show or spend a lot of time on.  I use the bits I have for knick-knacks.

I use TPU (not listed above :Smile ) for bendy things.  (Usually that's not required for a droid build though.  We use it for D-0's tire, "inner-tubes" for MCK-Y (mouse droid), and to connect the links in the Toolbox Droid).  

Most builders nowadays use PETG or similar newer filaments.  I have barely used PETG since we lean toward ABS.
(02-20-2023, 05:23 AM)Dyne Wrote: [ -> ]

Any filament will probably work if they don't recommend something specific with the files, but what you'll prefer depends on your needs.  Is it to be taken to cons in a hot car?  Kept on display in an office?  With or without direct sunlight?  What are the temperatures like in that location?

As a result, I typically print everything structural in PETG.  I'll prototype or print cosmetic pieces in PETG or PLA depending on my mood, what's currently loaded, and how much the part will take vs. how much I have left on hand of each.  Or I'll print them in resin if they are detailed.  I've found ABS to be a lot more trouble than it's worth, for my purposes, and no longer use it.

We use ABS primarily because we build in Lego and Lego is ABS (so that makes gluing easier).  Without that constraint, I'd likely use something else.

I avoid PLA for most things, especially things I take to a show or spend a lot of time on.  I use the bits I have for knick-knacks.

I use TPU (not listed above :Smile ) for bendy things.  (Usually that's not required for a droid build though.  We use it for D-0's tire, "inner-tubes" for MCK-Y (mouse droid), and to connect the links in the Toolbox Droid).  

Most builders nowadays use PETG or similar newer filaments.  I have barely used PETG since we lean toward ABS.