Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BB-8 Display Stand
I wanted to assemble it last week, but things came up (furnace was replaced and all sorts of other fun stuff).  But I got around to gluing and screwing it together today!

Note the recessed circle in the top, about 1/8th" or 3mm.  I'm printing a round shallow dish with BB-8's curvature to fit in there.  The hope is to keep him from rolling too far off the platform.  I'm actually thinking to allow him to roll a little, depending on how the animation goes.  We'd like to be able to make him react a little, like at Celebration London.

When done, this'll go in our remodeled theater room.

Basically we just glued it together as you can see here:

The middle disc in the middle of that pix was a pain because the routed square in the middle didn't fit.  I think I wanted the round bit to be bigger and scaled up the whole thing, so the inside edge ended up being further apart than the square support pillar.

I ended up routing the rest of the square by hand.  I think it was about 2.5mm / 0.1" too fat.  Not critical since it's hidden inside.

I glued everything to the top and clamped it, kind of hoping that they'd line up on the bottom when I attached the bottom rim piece.  It pretty much worked, though I'll need to clean up the edges a little.

Lara got little finishing screws to countersink in the MDF.  It was a little tricky to get the heads in, I ended up predrilling them and then twisting a knife in the top before inserting the screw.  It'll work good enough, the glue's holding it anyway.

The part that I did get done last week is cutting all of the acrylic windows.  This is clearly something I could use some practice on.  I got pretty frustrated as I seemed to get worse and worse.  (The first cut was pretty clean, so I thought I knew what I was doing).

The edges are rough in spots and a few even weren't usable.  Fortunately, I allowed 1/4" on each side for mounting, so the rough edges will be easy to hide.

I'd been expecting to use flat acrylic, like I had in my old 2x4' fluorescent lights.  But the only stuff we could find was textured.  The assumption was that we'd just put them in backwards, but after experimentation with a flashlight behind it, we've decided that we like the textured side out.  We'll see how it goes, they go in pretty much last, so if we decide it's not working they should be fairly straightforward to swap out.

Steps left in the project:
* Printing the recess thingy
* Filling and sanding the edges
* Paint inside and outside
* Install Panels
* Sanding
* Lights (I confess this might take a while to get to).

Messages In This Thread
BB-8 Display Stand - by kresty - 07-11-2020, 06:10 PM
RE: BB-8 Display Stand - by kresty - 07-11-2020, 10:57 PM
RE: BB-8 Display Stand - by kresty - 07-11-2020, 11:13 PM
RE: BB-8 Display Stand - by kresty - 07-12-2020, 05:09 PM
BB-8 Display Stand - by Dyne - 07-19-2020, 01:23 AM
RE: BB-8 Display Stand - by savagecreature - 07-19-2020, 08:10 AM
RE: BB-8 Display Stand - by kresty - 07-25-2020, 06:36 PM
RE: BB-8 Display Stand - by kresty - 07-25-2020, 07:59 PM
RE: BB-8 Display Stand - by kresty - 07-25-2020, 08:18 PM
RE: BB-8 Display Stand - by kresty - 07-25-2020, 08:25 PM
RE: BB-8 Display Stand - by kresty - 07-25-2020, 08:28 PM