Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
imperial droid?? any info??
thanks guys and right now I am working on my BB-8 and a Pit droid.on the pit droid though it seems like people are holding on to their files so I have my 3d modeler working on some that should be done today or tomorrow and I will start printing and cutting from CNC. I will post progress on the pit droid when I start
I'd love to build one of these as well... I had started gathering some photos from across the web.

I'm wondering how they actually built the life-size version for Empire... if they hand carved all the parts, used a vacuum table, if they used existing pieces, etc. We all know parts of a jet engine were used for IG-88's head and for other thing in the original films.

I wish I could find some sort of production notes and blueprints on exactly how they built the probe droid.
I did find this, although I can't remember where I got it from:

[Image: JuhqYk.jpg]
Wow, that's seriously cool!

(07-10-2016, 05:49 AM)deathproof Wrote: I did find this, although I can't remember where I got it from:

[Image: JuhqYk.jpg]
I like the pin-up girls in the background. Smile
(07-10-2016, 11:58 AM)deathproof Wrote: I like the pin-up girls in the background. Smile

I was noticing the big legs next to them.  They look like they're probalby supposed to be the droid's arms, but some of them don't seem right to me, like maybe they were concepts?
(07-10-2016, 12:23 PM)kresty Wrote: I was noticing the big legs next to them.  They look like they're probalby supposed to be the droid's arms, but some of them don't seem right to me, like maybe they were concepts?

Nope. Not early, unused concepts. The actual, this is what they built concepts.

[Image: normal_arms.jpg]

the top are the arms from the Hot Toys probe droid. I used this image because it had the limbs separated out and laying sorta flat.
(07-10-2016, 12:23 PM)kresty Wrote:
(07-10-2016, 11:58 AM)deathproof Wrote: I like the pin-up girls in the background. Smile

I was noticing the big legs next to them.  They look like they're probalby supposed to be the droid's arms, but some of them don't seem right to me, like maybe they were concepts?

From what I can see, they appear to be pretty close to the legs it had, so they probably are some sort of blueprints or sketches, possibly life size.

God, can you imagine if someone still had all that stuff in their garage or basement, what it would be worth? I just saw a movie prop site selling an original pair of Hoth goggles for something like $8000 if I recall correctly. Anything from back then, especially the first movie, is worth a mint now. Probably because they had no idea if the movie would be a hit or not.
A friend has some of the Hoth crew stuff, they had a lot of custom jackets and hats and stuff (not wardrobe stuff, just crew stuff). I'd imagine Hoth goggles aren't that uncommon, there were a lot of soldiers out there.

(07-10-2016, 02:33 PM)deathproof Wrote: From what I can see, they appear to be pretty close to the legs it had, so they probably are some sort of blueprints or sketches, possibly life size.

God, can you imagine if someone still had all that stuff in their garage or basement, what it would be worth? I just saw a movie prop site selling an original pair of Hoth goggles for something like $8000 if I recall correctly. Anything from back then, especially the first movie, is worth a mint now. Probably because they had no idea if the movie would be a hit or not.
I have a heap of reference photo's of the Probe Droid. I will try and upload them today.