Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Al's HO15
So many questions lol.

Thanks for the heads up on the LEDs Savage.
I basically used a green led as I hadn't seen the backside view.
Now it's apparent that it's red. So I'll change that at some point.

With regards to the plans...
I had already got to the stage of finalising my plans, I don't have any fancy 3D programs, so I was literally drawing them in Illustrator, lasering card prototypes, eyeballing it with reference images, then making adjustments to my drawings.
When I saw the flat pack designs from savage, I downloaded them, and over lapped each part on top of mine, to my astonishment, we where at exactly the stage (+\- a few MM) with design and measurements.
However, I hadn't got to the finalising stage of the top details as my reference material wasn't accurate enough (I made a rough start, but nothing concrete)
So I have used savages top detail file, though, I have also altered them too as they appear to be ever so slightly incorrect)

The 4 sections of the droid are not glued together yet, as I need to figure out how to open the droid for maintenance (when the motors are installed) so, as you have noticed the Y Isn't in the correct place, but it's not glued, so it will face the blue led when it is finished.
Just to add about the details.
So, apart from the actual Y on top (where the aerial pokes out) and the body section, there are no further cut outs (the small rectangular details are in fact stickers)
[Image: 9e476dd7acb37561bc91064dace323c3.jpg]

The same goes with the 4 feet. No cutouts, just rectangular stickers.

They have been laser etched though, so I know exactly where to put them.
(I'll take a photo of what I mean and upload them soon)

The Y detail, is all angled, there are no curves in the cut outs.
(Again, I'll take a picture to show what I mean)

Hope this helps.

Further images to follow:
[Image: 53a1405436ceaca63de2b1d77077ca96.jpg]
stickers! I'll be damned. That's much easier!

Thanks for that bit. I'll make sure to remove the cut outs in the plans and explain the stickers in the intstructions

As far as the rounded ends in the slots go, that's because these plans were set up for my CnC. The rounded corners are an artifact of the cutting process. I guess I should specify that as well.

Awesome feedback and your build looks great
I thought they where cutouts too and I was an inch away!
Until I was reliably informed otherwise.
With regards to the rounded corners, you know what, it's a detail that would probably be missed anyway.

I have had a good measure against reference images against my scaled unit and it would appear the balls on the end of the legs are around (near as damn it) 88mm, they come up @ 44mm on mine.
(08-13-2016, 08:24 AM)alr2 Wrote: I have had a good measure against reference images against my scaled unit and it would appear the balls on the end of the legs are around (near as damn it) 88mm, they come up @ 44mm on mine.
Very convenient for Lara as for her Lego build she can use the Lego 11 stud hemisphere, which is... 88mm Smile 
(08-13-2016, 08:24 AM)alr2 Wrote: I thought they where cutouts too and I was an inch away!

I had no idea!  Interesting!
[Image: 807ffd6882d9c316cdd306267d0e56a5.jpg]

[Image: 63c60c5b7e1384df204393be947e493d.jpg]
I'm embarrassed that I didn't get close enough pictures Sad I told myself after BB-8 that I'd get better & more appropriate pictures next time and clearly I didn't, 'cause I missed these Smile

Thanks for sharing!
WOW nice very very nice ....My house is going to be full of bloody robots soon ... Currently 2 Thinkway R2-D2 droids (1 pulled apart to make a Hello Kitty Droid), 2 Vortex robots, 1 CHiP robot dog, Buddy Robot is on Pre-order, soon Wall-E robot, Palmi robot, parts for a 1:1 R2 and R6, parts for BB, 2 half built MSE, working on blue prints for a Androbot Inc TOPO, and now I have to find space for a HO15. ... Think I should start a Robotic Company ....