Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Treadwell Build
Well, I'm getting the funds and materials together to start my first R5-D4 but first I thought I'd build something a little easier just to get my feet wet. I haven't worked on any major projects like this in a few years... probably the last was a set of Doctor Octopus arms for Halloween around 10 years ago. (pics available upon request)
I have been thinking about trying a lifesize Imperial Probe Droid, but having no instructions or diagrams handy, nor barely anything resembling a real workshop, that will be much further down the line.

So I decided to start with the WED-15's head. Got the eyes constructed and as it was a perfect day (sunny and breezy) for painting, I started painting them up today.

I'm sort of doing a cross between Paul's treadwell:

http://www.rebeldroids.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=52

and Bloody Plastic's Treadwell:

http://www.bloody-plastic.com/props/treadwell.html

The base for mine will be foamcore, the neck (or body?) will be PVC pipe and the head is balsa wood.

Mine won't be functional (not at first, anyway) but if it turns out okay I might try to automate it in the future.
100% death proof

[Image: qBQpDd.jpg]
Balsa wood head/eyes:

[Image: DFNzJp.jpg]

[Image: SQeMyj.jpg]

[Image: 61MTvD.jpg]
Primed with black paint. This serves two functions, priming the outside for the outer layer of paint plus blackening the interior.

I rather like Paul's having actual "eyes" inside, plus it helps to flesh out the interior of the head. I have a couple of old flashlight assemblies I will use for the eyes once the paint job is finished on the head. I'm still working out the best material to use for the eye lenses. Right now I might just use plastic carved from a couple of CD cases unless I can find a slightly darker but translucent material. Maybe a cheap pair of sunglasses? Have to stop by the local drug store and see if they have anything that might work in that regard.

[Image: 88GECQ.jpg]

[Image: DiB4JC.jpg]

I'll remind everyone that:

1. I live in an apartment and don't have a real workshop. I had to take these pieces to work so I'd have someplace to spraypaint them

2. I'm horribly out of practice in building anything bigger than a model car kit.

3. I probably don't have the right tools

4. I have a slight learning disability

I'd welcome any and all suggestions or ideas... just don't be a dick about it. Smile
Did a coat of blue. I'll find out when I got in to work tomorrow how these ultimately turned out.

On the one hand, I think the black priming might help with an older, battered look. On the other hand, I tend to wonder if I should have used grey on the outside so the blue would stand out a little better. I suppose I can just re-prime and re-paint again if the blue is too dark. With the absorbancy of the balsa it might require several coats of paint either way.

[Image: VfkKt5.jpg]

[Image: B32mSm.jpg]'

I picked up a couple of pieces of PVC today and the foam core yesterday. I have D & D this evening but I'll try to start measuring out the pieces to cut tomorrow. I still need a couple of pieces of coupling but I have to consult the plans to see what sizes are recommended.

At least I have probably 85% of the components I need. I think that's a good start.

I'm hoping to get this done by October to show it off in our computer store's window. Then get started on the R5-D4. Just the plans alone are going to run me about $150 as the part diagrams have to be printed in actual size. I can print out the instructions at my shop for free, at least.
Cool! thanks for sharing your progress with us!

I look forward to seeing where you go from here.

I too would like to build something probe droid-ish, but I'm still working on plans and/or design.
(09-14-2015, 01:22 PM)savagecreature Wrote: Cool! thanks for sharing your progress with us!

I look forward to seeing where you go from here.

I too would like to build something probe droid-ish, but I'm still working on plans and/or design.

I wouldn't even know where to start - I'd love to find some sort of reference as to how they built the original model(s) for Empire.
Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to seeing progress!
(09-14-2015, 10:15 PM)kresty Wrote: Thanks for sharing!  Looking forward to seeing progress!

One thing I've learned so far: balsa wood is far too absorbant to just use paint on it. I checked a modelling web site where they recommended a "filler primer". Trying to avoid an extra trip out to the hobby store, I picked up a can of spray-on primer which says it seals porous surfaces so I will try that when I get back from my lunch meeting. Got another perfect day for outdoor spray painting today.

I'm still working out how to do the neck. (or body? I would consider the base to be the body, but semantics - whatever.) I got a couple of pieces of 1" and 1 1/4" PVC. I might grab a couple of larger coupling pieces but first I'm working out how to attach the neck to the base. In a couple of the photos of the actual set-used WED-1577 you can see a "floor flange" at its base:

[Image: Floor_Flange_33FF1_Big.jpg]

Although I'm not sure how well the base will handle the weight of the neck and head, I am thinking about bolting this to the base and then screwing a 12" length of 1/2" pipe into it. Then the whole neck and head assembly can sit right over top it. Makes for taking it apart for transportation much easier.

I just wonder if the foam core will be strong enough to support it. I might end up strengthening the base with a couple of pieces of wood.

I want to get the head done first, though. With that benchmark behind me I can put more concentration into the rest of the build.
Distributing the load on the base with wood seems like a good plan.  May not have to be a lot.  (I'm thinking of the time my mast fell down on my boat, not dissimilar Smile )
Well, spray painting the eyes didn't go too well as the balsa wood proved to be too abosrbant. I got a can of spray-on primer which promises to help fill cracks and such, so I did a couple of coats with that. Definitely seemed to smooth out the wood grain, although I got some sandpaper to smooth it out a bit more. I'll try one more coat of primer after that and then apply the blue paint again.

Unfortunately I've expended my budget for the week so I'll have to pick up the pipe and floor flange some time next week. That's all right, because I want to start on building the base this weekend.

Hopefully have some pics later today.