Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Posted a version of MSE-6 Flat Pack
The previous plans weren't exported as vector files, making it tough to cut them on a laser cutter. So I re-attacked the MSE-6 shell plans.

This is what I've thrown together.  Basically I made a 3D model of the right dimensions, then built 1.5mm (1/16") walls for the styrene thickess, trimming the panels as needed.  Because of the angles there'll still need putty to assemble.

The front of the body goes 1 1/2" (38mm) from the front of the frame.  The skirt is centered on the bottom of the frame.

[Image: MSE-6_Kresty_Flat_Pack.jpg]
Kresty's MSE-6 Flat Pack
Cut out of 1.5mm or 1/16" (poly)styrene.  Does not include top or side greeblies, get creative!

I included vector PDFs with thin #000 RGB lines (which is what my laser needs) and also exported them as DXF's (which I'm not sure if I did perfectly).  Do not cut or etch the non-vector letters or scale!

These panels are reasonably straight, I'm sure many model makers wouldn't hesitate to hand-cut them.

There's a 100mm & 4" scale because we've already learned that lesson!  Make sure it's printing/cutting at the right size.

Many of the edges are at angles, so you'll need to file or sand them down or putty them after assembly.

The "body" and "skirt" parts should be reasonably obvious.

Where the panels meet one edge has to be "outside" the other.  There a .png to help, as would the 3D model. Usually the front & rear sections are outside of the "side" walls. however in the inner recess it's the other way around.  Make sure they fit next to the big rectangular pieces as they should fit within the frame only one way.
Awesome! Thanks for your hard work on these. I'm going to give it a whirl today.

*Edit* Took a look at the files and they are great! Just reworking (nesting) them for my laser bed size.

-= Lumpy =-

Red-Deer R2-D2
Yea, I know you said yours was a smaller bed, but this was easy and I figured whatever I did was going to be wrong for someone Smile

Let me know if there're any issues.

BTW, I wasn't sure the interior panel details were clear, I've added this to the .zip:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=232]

(01-13-2018, 10:46 AM)kresty Wrote: Yea, I know you said yours was a smaller bed, but this was easy and I figured whatever I did was going to be wrong for someone Smile

Let me know if there're any issues.

BTW, I wasn't sure the interior panel details were clear, I've added this to the .zip:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=232]

No worries. This pic helps a lot!

-= Lumpy =-

Red-Deer R2-D2
(01-13-2018, 12:58 PM)Lumpy Wrote: No worries. This pic helps a lot!

I considered making that inner part of the recess go "full height", might make it hard to place it though.

I also have been toying with the idea of making some tongues and grooves for some of the panels, especially the concealed parts. Might make assembly easier. But I've run out of time to play with it.

I realize nobody probably uses sketchup, but the 3D model shows the fit of the parts if there's any other ambiguity. (I also exported to other formats, but not sure how well that went). Sketchup has a free version, now online, but there's a 2017 "make" version that's installable if you can find it. Online would probably work to figure out parts placement though.