Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3PO build
I've been seeing some really nice 3D printed droids in the C-3PO builders Facebook group, and I've decided that I need to get in on this.  The models by Jesse_M seem to be the most popular, so thats what I'll be using.  My printer is a CR-10, and I used CC3D PLA Silk Gold filament.  Model was sliced into 0.2mm layers using Cura.
I just finished printing the head!  Each of the halves took around 2 days to print, and it took about 1 day to print all the greebles.
[Image: 27r9FY8O_o.jpg]

The assembly:
[Image: C2VP2k98_o.jpg][Image: zpiyWkM0_o.jpg][Image: ftMBYctW_o.jpg]

Some pictures of the printing chaos:
[Image: uX3YmdaC_o.jpg][Image: UXnxX9PZ_o.jpg][Image: 9ntSDh5s_o.jpg]

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit my head.  I think if I scaled it up about 5% and reprinted it, I could wear it.  I think I could get away with making it a little bigger, it looks pretty small next to the other buckets:
[Image: uB7YOJ5s_o.jpg]
how cool!!! Thanks for posting. C3P-0 is the reason this whole forum started. It's awesome to see him 'back home'
A little progress to share-
Torso V2 model by Jesse (scaled to 105%), Hatchbox PLA, 0.3mm layer height, 35 hours print time.
[Image: BuIjeBba_o.jpg]

Left Arm model by Jesse (scaled to 105%), Hand model by Gordon Tarpley, Hatchbox PETG, 0.2mm Layer height
[Image: 2dajsPZt_o.jpg]

[Image: cnDBQ8hl_o.jpg]

First eye prototype, LEDs are too yellow, and maybe a little too bright.
[Image: eUppSQLX_o.jpg]
So awesome!!!!
I am getting very excited, I never thought I would have a 3PO, let alone BE a 3PO!  I think the last time i attempted to build one, I was in 4th grade, and I used cardboard boxes, cans, and paper mache.  I wonder if there are any pictures of that abomination...

A quick test fit (this is going to be a very warm costume)-
[Image: gZsOEuNH_o.jpg]

I've been experimenting with the eyes, but I haven't found a configuration I like yet.  In the above image, both eyes have yellow LEDs, but one eye has a white backing, and the other has a black backing  I bought some warm white LEDs, and they really help tone down the orange color, but now the eyes seem to have a green tint.  
Warm white LEDs with gold backing:
[Image: gPQYnjzc_o.jpg]

This is pretty much the current state:
[Image: faZuYGfW_o.jpg]

My girlfriend commented that the apartment is starting to look like a sandcrawler.  That's a compliment, right?
are you excited?! I certainly am! This is looking really nice! this is the one thing that I think I would actually use a large format printer for.

I like the first set of eyes. looks more like what I remember. but of course you should go with whatever you're happy with.
That's looking really cool! Very impressed.
Thanks guys!
After looking at screen shots, I think I actually need light orange, very dim lights, and probably a black backing. It also looks like the lights might be near the center, and point out.
[Image: tt4k7IL4_o.png]

My current design:
[Image: YjiCLnGg_o.jpg]
My 3D printed antenna is extremely fragile, so I decided to try making one out of brass tubing and washers. It worked much better than I was expecting!  The process was pretty simple, mostly just soldering and sanding/polishing.
The hardest part was drilling the ID of the washers to the correct size.  I ended up soldering a stack of washers together (super glue wasn't strong enough), placing the stack inside the drill press chuck, and very slowly bringing the chuck down over a stationary drill bit. Once the ID was correct, I melted the solder and separated them.
Many washers died to bring us this information.
[Image: LJ9v4sHa_o.jpg]

[Image: cwdM4wJ9_o.jpg]
[Image: GvSJ5Zjx_o.jpg]
Wow, that looks great!