Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello From Vancouver BC Canada
(04-10-2019, 06:35 AM)savagecreature Wrote: *chuckle* yeah, well, that's 'cause I forgot to actually paste in the URL. It's there above now

Found it! Smile hahahah  wow
Such detailed work so far. Well done!! Is there still information that you're missing for the build?   Perhaps I can see if I can hunt it down.  I have noticed a few variations with the shoulders. Have you found this in your research? Which do you feel would work better in the real world? I'm thinking the round shoulder adaptations might work better than the straight ones, as it may offer more flexibility for the robot and given more room for the cables. Thoughts?

Sarah
My first thought is let's move this to the build area of the forum Smile

As far as the different versions of the Pit Droid, my focus has been on trying to replicate the ones we saw on screen in the Phantom Menace. All of the variations since have either been stylizations (like the ones seen in Clone Wars the animated series) or created before the design was finalized (the maquette in the Lucas Film archives) or after the films where released (the statue in the gift store at ILM). Not that I'm averse to creating versions of some of those as well, just up to this point I've been focusing solely on the digital version from the film.
(04-09-2019, 10:35 PM)Voxpax2 Wrote: Finally did my first basic print on the 3d printer tonight... so excited hahah it was a glow in the dark minion chess piece. its so cute.

You said you are just starting to do printing. Are you aware that glow in the dark filaments are typically abrasive? You need a durable (hardened) nozzle to print much of that stuff; brass nozzles are too soft and will wear out significantly faster than they should.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comm...t_nozzles/

A lot of people new to printing immediately jump to using it as soon as they know it exists and have no idea.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
(04-11-2019, 01:16 PM)Dyne Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 10:35 PM)Voxpax2 Wrote: Finally did my first basic print on the 3d printer tonight... so excited hahah it was a glow in the dark minion chess piece. its so cute.

You said you are just starting to do printing. Are you aware that glow in the dark filaments are typically abrasive?  You need a durable (hardened) nozzle to print much of that stuff; brass nozzles are too soft and will wear out significantly faster than they should.

A lot of people new to printing immediately jump to using it as soon as they know it exists and have no idea.

Interesting.  I've never noticed much issue from that (but I've only printed a spool or two of glowing stuff)
(04-12-2019, 01:56 PM)kresty Wrote: Interesting.  I've never noticed much issue from that (but I've only printed a spool or two of glowing stuff)

It depends to some extent on the exact GITD material. The blue-green glow usually uses strontium aluminate which is quite abrasive. Other colors use zinc or (i think) calcium compounds and aren't as problematic but also don't glow as well. The size and quantity of the particles matters and that varies by manufacturer.

(04-12-2019, 01:56 PM)kresty Wrote:
(04-11-2019, 01:16 PM)Dyne Wrote:

You said you are just starting to do printing. Are you aware that glow in the dark filaments are typically abrasive?  You need a durable (hardened) nozzle to print much of that stuff; brass nozzles are too soft and will wear out significantly faster than they should.

Interesting.  I've never noticed much issue from that (but I've only printed a spool or two of glowing stuff)

Wow!! thank you for that information. I also have a copper colour that I have as well. I'm just using the glow in the dark filament as a practice material, that way when I mess up, it at least it is a fun glowing mess. ;Wink hahahahahah But I will look further into that so that this project might be a better success.
(04-11-2019, 06:43 AM)savagecreature Wrote: My first thought is let's move this to the build area of the forum Smile

As far as the different versions of the Pit Droid, my focus has been on trying to replicate the ones we saw on screen in the Phantom Menace.  All of the variations since have either been stylizations (like the ones seen in Clone Wars the animated series) or created before the design was finalized (the maquette in the Lucas Film archives) or after the films where released (the statue in the gift store at ILM).  Not that I'm averse to creating versions of some of those as well, just up to this point I've been focusing solely on the digital version from the film.

Agreed and Fair enough about the movie selection type of pit droid. I think I have been more focused on what is possible in the real world than the style of pit droid hence the question about the shoulders.  If we want to tackle a movie accurate version, I'm up for the challenge heheheh. Okay, I'm going to go over to the other area and make a topic to continue there.

-Voxpax2
New Topic made in the build section "Animated Pit Droid Attempt" is what I have title it.

Cheers
Vox